Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What if your two year old doesn't like having his picture taken?

It's spring time! I am always so happy when winter nears its end. I love the bright spring green color of budding cottonwoods in the bosque. I love the flowering trees - especially when the breeze blows their scent my way as I walk past. And I especially love daffodils and spring bulbs.

I was so happy when this family wanted a photo session at the botanic gardens - one of my favorite locations for portraits in Albuquerque.
Professional photo of a family holding hands walking on a path in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

But! This session has a twist. Instead of just enjoying the signs of spring, you also get to read my thoughts on this subject: "What if Your Two Year Old Doesn't Like Having his Picture Taken?"
This happens, and my guess is that if you have a two year old, this concern may have crossed your mind too.

Guess what? It's kind of normal. Some toddlers LOVE the camera. Some of them hate it. I kinda don't blame them - this lady they don't know points this big giant black eye at them and tries to be funny. Sometimes it's just not very funny. I think usually I find that these little guys are somewhere in between, and with two year old sessions we definitely tend to do what the child wants to do, not what I necessarily had planned. :) (And that's okay!)
Professional photo of a father and little boy in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

This darling little boy (love those curls!) was not into photo sessions. He did really like "Motts" (fruit snacks) and he liked the gardens fine, but the camera was not fun for him. For instance - we found this beautiful flowering tree and tried to see if we could get a quick family picture. Not really!
Professional photo of a family with a sad little boy in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

When this happens, we don't give up! We try lots of things until we finally find something that is fun for your child. Yay!
Professional photo of a family holding hands by a blooming tree in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

There is always something.
Professional photo of a family holding hands by a blooming tree in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

It may not be what you expect - maybe you didn't plan on hanging out in the farm area while your baby throws pieces of mulch, but seeing the joy in these photos is worth it! Professional photo of a happy baby in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

My funniest moment - it tickled my funny bone that he got super mad while looking at the model trains. He usually gets to play with trains, and here are these awesome trains that he is not allowed to climb in and get! I see his point. Professional photo of a happy couple in the Botanic Gardens in Albuquerque

And you know when you're all done when, while taking one minute for this portrait of Mom and Dad, the baby looks like this:
Professional photo of a baby crying because he was tired of photography

If you have a two year old, and you're considering a photo session but you're at all concerned at how it might go with him or her, I'd love to talk with you about it.You can call or email me and we can chat! I also have a page with lots of tips on how to get the best possible results from your photo session here.

No comments:

Post a Comment