This family had a great idea. Instead of a normal family portrait session (which we have done in the past), they invited me to their daughter's birthday party!
I do enjoy my regular portrait sessions, but there are a so many really fun things about combining your photo session with an event. Here are 10 things I thought were great:
1. I love doing photo sessions with two and three year olds at their home - they tend to feel happy and comfortable. And what could be more fun than riding your new trike, right?
2. Giant balloons and bears. I love including your child's favorite things, whatever they may be.
3. Sometimes family is visiting from out of town - the perfect time to take a multi-generational portrait.
4. Grandpa time. She was happy to share her m&m's with her grandpa so that he could also smile for the picture.
5. No posing (or not much anyway), just fun!
6. Sometimes it's a family reunion and a birthday party all in one! How often will all these people be together in one spot? I know my family is spread across the country - it's tricky to get together!
7. Candid moments like this - just because she's young doesn't mean she doesn't know what she wants to do next! Enough with pictures outside, let's go in and get back to the party!
8. Blowing out the candles as many times as you want. If you find that it's especially fun, having a photographer there will ensure that you get to do it a lot, at least five times...
9. Remembering funny quirks like two year olds who not only love cupcakes, but also love getting clean after eating one.
What, more cake? Mmmmmmm. Let's blow out the candles some more!
How about another cupcake too? It's a party!
10. Pictures playing with Dad.
Pictures opening presents with Mom.
I love pictures that show your family relationship - because as your children grow, your relationship inevitably changes as well. My memory is not up to the task of remembering all the good stuff, so to me it's really important to have pictures of my family interacting and doing what we love to do together. I want to remember my children's favorite books (this cutie is a reader like my babies were!), toys, and what made us laugh.
If this appeals to you as well, I'd love to talk with you about a family or child photography session (with or without a party)! Give me a call or email and we can chat about a session for you or your family.