Thursday, March 21, 2013

Baby's First Year Photography

Nothing in the world is as amazing and wonderful as a new baby. Nothing changes your life as much, which I remember scared me before I had kids, before I realized that - sleep deprivation aside - no other change has brought me more joy.

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

Baby photography becomes important to many families when they have a new little one - one of the main problems with babies, in my opinion, is that they grow up and change too fast! (I still try to convince my 6 year old that she can go back and be just 4 years old again, and then she can stay home with me all the time... I think she is kind of scared that I could somehow pull that off...)

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

Since we can't stop time, or even slow it down (not that you would want to at 2:00am when you're up... again... with Baby - just remember, it does not last forever), one thing that made me feel a little better as a new mom was lots of pictures! 

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby princess in Albuquerque

I'm sure you will have lots of candid pictures of your baby, and you will love them.  But if you're interested in professional baby photography, spread out through his or her first year, I have four choices of photography packages that many parents love.

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

My packages start when your baby is brand new.  Newborn photography is best done within the first 10 days of life.  That way he or she will more likely sleep really well, and we can pose and play while Baby sleeps.  Lots of the really sweet newborn poses just do not work at all when the baby is awake.

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

Because of that, a newborn session is a little different from any other sort of portrait session.  I usually schedule at least 3 hours for a newborn, to allow plenty of time for meals and coaxing to sleep. 

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

We heat the room up really warm (which is just what you don't want as a new mom... sorry...) because it helps the baby get comfortable.  (They love it.) 

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

And then we apply an extra-large dose of patience!  It's worth it. 

Professional portrait of a beautiful mom and sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

Every newborn session is different, and they tend to be kind of unpredictable, but you can count on beautiful pictures of your baby at his or her tiniest and most delicate. 

Professional portrait of a newborn baby sleeping in a basket in Albuquerque

If we're lucky, your baby will even smile for us!  (Re-read what I said above about these sessions being a little unpredictable, just in case.)

Professional portrait of a smiling newborn baby in Albuquerque

Two of my packages include more photo sessions throughout Baby's first year. I like to do these at around 3 months old (tummy time - so when he or she can comfortably look up from tummy position), around 6-8 months old (whenever he or she is good at sitting up, but preferably before they start to crawl away), and right around their birthday. I have three more blog posts coming that talk more about this (and show some really sweet babies too!).

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby with fingers interlaced in Albuquerque

Each session includes beautiful products - wall portraits, gift prints, or an heirloom photo album.

Professional portrait of a sleeping newborn baby at his home in Albuquerque

I love getting to see your baby 4 times a year - it is absolutely amazing to see them grow and develop, from a tiny newborn to a fast-moving and giggly one year old. 

Professional portrait of a smiling newborn baby in Albuquerque

My "Baby Expressions" package can also be a great gift, if someone you love is having a baby.  It is a popular baby shower gift - I have a nice gift certificate package that I will get to you ahead of time, and then the new mom can be prepared  for her coming newborn session.  I know that newborns are tricky to schedule, so I will reserve time around Baby's due date, and when he or she is born you can give me a call in the first couple of days to plan our session time. 

Professional portrait of a peacefully sleeping newborn baby in Albuquerque

I have more pictures and information about baby photography on this page here - check it out!

Or if you are interested in a baby session, or in a year's photographic journey with me, I have all the information in an online magazine for you to check out. Just fill in your email information and you will receive a link right away!

Submit your email address to receive more information

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment